Thursday, September 9, 2010




I got home from the clinic at 6:30 AM, and then tried to lie down. They said they call me about 8:30 or 9 to give me an update. I REALLY expected to get a call saying he'd expired... he was sooo little and weak, and soooo new! The vet did call, and said he was still hanging in there - and could I get my mare into the clinic so he would have access to her milk and more colostrum. They wanted him to bond to her, and not to his medical staff. I don't have a trailer, so the next day I made some calls, and got my friend Coni Davenport, who owns the most beautiful horses in the world at Immortal Farms http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res0nahw/ to come and get Jasmine and take her to the clinic. Little Minion was still all tucked into his bed, covered with blankets and hooked up to his stomach tube and had an IV catheter in him. He also had a "foal sitter" who sat with him, 24 hours a day (they rotated!!) and checked his vitals hourly, changed his blankets, and turned on the heater as needed. They also made sure his stomach tube and IV stayed in. Now we added Jasmine into the picture and she needed to be able to move around in his stall, but not tear out his tubes or stomp the heater. She did really well, and seemed to really bond with him, and produced milk. I had had a hard time getting much milk out of her, and was really glad to have a break from milking her frequently to keep her milk in. Minion got quite a bit of food from his Mom, so that was great - he , of course couldn't stand up and nurse, as he was still weak and very uncoordinated, and still too short. But, he was still alive - which was REALLY amazing to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment